Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sweet, Sweet Jenny's

I LOVE this Place


What can I say about Sweet Jenny's?  From the first time I moved to Barnegat, it has been a place that is close to my heart.  It is probably one of the only places I do know well in Barnegat. The first time I walked into the "old" Sweet Jenny's I caught the fun energy. The host told us to "just sit wherever you like". The staff treats you like family. I remember that first cup of rich delicious coffee, in a BIG mug, like we drink here in Jersey!


Sunday breakfast is the best. Their home-fries are so good, I always order them well done -- and the wait staff doesn't ever make a face at my special order. Quite the contrary, Rebecca Reilly has been waiting on us for the almost 3 years that I have lived here. She is ALWAYS smiling!  (in picture below).

I did say "old" Sweet Jenny's because there was a terrible fire on December 27, 2011 but thankfully none was in the place, or injured.  The old place was a cute log cabin on Route 9 that will be missed.


I stopped by the "new" Sweet Jenny's located right downtown on East Bay Avenue to ask Rebecca a few questions and she graciously said, "let's talk now".  I shouldn't have expected anything less.  


I had to ask about the "Wall of Fame" and "Wall of Shame".  Of course I think it meant "big tippers" and "check skippers"... no.  These are the brave people that have tried the "Gavone Burger Challenge".  
2 pounds of beef, bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion served on a Kaiser roll.  If you eat the entire plate in 10 minutes without any help of course, you get the prestige of having your name on the wall of fame, if you fail, you are on the wall of shame.  In case you were thinking about the challenge, here is what the plate looks like that you would need to finish in 10 MINUTES.

Rebecca couldn't say enough about how much she loves the place, and it shows.  She said her favorite things are the staff, her boss and the family atmosphere.  
I made her pick ONE favorite item off the menu, and I got list since it was too hard to choose one:
1.  Roma Rollup
2.  Chuck's Favorite Pulled Pork (#1 seller 10 years in a row.)
3.  Wisconsin Horseradish Melt
And for dessert... Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream. If that is not your thing, there are 16 ice cream flavors and countless toppings!

There are fun themes everyday:
Every Day - 8-10 AM $2.99 Breakfast Special
Monday - All you can eat wings
Tuesday - Sock Hop with 50's music, Malts, Shakes, flavored sodas
Wednesday - All you can eat "Pasta Extravaganza" - Have it all cooked up right in front of you!
Thursday - Taco Night & Freckles the clown
Friday/Saturday/Sunday - Land and Sea Dinner specials

I have been in Sweet Jenny's when it's quiet and busy and the staff doesn't miss a beat.  I always recommend getting there early (before 9 AM) for Sunday Breakfast, and if there is a line, you'll be greeted with a smile and it's always worth the wait.


Sweet Jenny's: 688 East Bay Avenue  Barnegat Township, NJ 08005
Telephone:  (609) 698-2228

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*********DON'T FORGET today is PIRATE'S DAY!!!!!!!!


9 – 4 PM at Gazebo Park

7 PM:  Concert at the Municipal Dock 
If it rains the concert will be held at the Recreation Community Center, located behind the Police Department – 900 W Bay Ave.

At the Park:
Food and fun for all ages, Costume Contest, Treasure Hunt, and much more!

At the Dock:  Sounds of Rod Stewart



No comments:

Post a Comment